Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery power vs. Generator and a modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

handcrafted

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So here's my latest anomaly I've noticed my internet speed (high speed broadband dsl) being very slow and not letting pages load. It worked normal for the first three months since off grid living started. I've contacted my service provider and they have trouble shooted a few things made some repairs gave me a new modem and still slow speed. Now, the other day I decided to fire up the generator and voila speeds up on the internet. Wake up the next morning hmmm slow speed but it's morning I'm on batteries hmmm go out fire up the genny and voila speed is back up again hmmmm. Tried and proven for some reason in the past two weeks my t105's are effecting my modem. Any thoughts greatly appreciated thanks for reading. :)
Generator 5500 watt
Batteries 6 t105's in series parallel = 12 volt= 705 amp hours
Inverter Zantrex 1000 watt 2500 max surge
Wire 10/3 25' run to panel

Interference from the inverter?
Grounding issue when running on the inverter?

These would be the first places I would be looking, time to fire up the shortwave rx and go looking.

Regards, Dan.

Yes it would seem that a RFI filter on the output of the inverter is necessary. You could try just wrapping the output leads around a piece of ferrite (good) or iron (poor). You could try a Medium or long wave receiver and listen for "hash" near the power lines to the modem.
Frank

Thank you all for commenting I have solved the issue. Thru due process of back tracking "what has changed" I unraveled the network extender antenna all jumbled up around my modem power and other peripherals in and around my desk, no luck. I installed a splitter/filter at the DSL connection with dielectric grease to increase connectivity of the mediocre jack condition, no luck. I removed the 4 aluminum frame windows I stacked along side the house and subsequently somewhat covered the lead power into my panel from my source (genny and Inverter) no luck. Ok now this is getting peculiar what could have changed in the past couple weeks hmmmm, could it be the four outlet power strip I installed to the outlet of the inverter, I had the power going from the inverter to the line in, well I switched directly to the inverter and voila problem solved I have my high speed internet back up and running on my battery bank Thank you all once again for your advice I didlearn a couple things here. and sorry if this douple posted I attempted a different response and not sure if it will post as well. Ciao

So was this radiated noise
I had the power going from the inverter to the line in, well I switched directly to the inverter and voila problem solved I have my high speed internet back up and running on my battery bank
or conducted noise.

Not clear if this was grid connected line in , which was used my modem brick or ?

Well seems as though some issue still exists got online this morning and same slow speed, unplugged my line and the one other line from the inverter (left this one unplugged) cycled off the inverter and plugged my house line back in cycled on the inverter came inside and speed is up my not fully hmmm :=:arrow: going to drink some coffee and think

- - - Updated - - -

SunnySkyguy I am 100% off grid and on 6 t105s in series parallel putting out 705 amp hours to a 2500 watt xantrex inverter. I'm suspecting the local utilites meter that is radio controlled although not supplying power to it does send frequency to them, any thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.