Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery charging by Solar Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok
I agreed.
Regulator is compulsory for charging.
can three pin regulator like 7812 used for this purpose ?

ok
I agreed.
Regulator is compulsory for charging.
can three pin regulator like 7812 used for this purpose ?

Not adequate for this job. 7812 is limited at 1A of current. Do You plan to charge 200Ah battery with 1A and for what time?

Also 7812 have upper voltage limit about 32V, thats talks that this is not good for 48V system.

7812 power dissipation is limited, if you have on example 24V input, will be (24V-12V)*1A=12W dissipation on 24V!!!! On 30V input will have 18W!!!

For like that life this 7812 voltage regulator will have short and bad life, maybe fire first comes out. 7812 have internal protection on temp, but higher temp will decrease life of all semiconductors.

I dont see point of avoidance of appropriate system configuration. Solar sys not cheap, why nig on such important part of system.

See this videos :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FTYnlKiG20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdzk0EQ91Lo&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEq-6Lc3_SI&feature=related

See this regulators (not for 48V but see like examples) :

Attachments

• !!! 10A Solar Regulator Charger with LM324.rar
    130.7 KB · Views: 115
  • !!! Solar Charging Regulator 15A LM358.rar
    7 MB · Views: 177
  • !!! Solar panel voltage regulator 12V 7A Panel 20A Load.rar
    28 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

one thing is confirmed that regulator is essential
can 7812 regulator be used for this purpose?

---------- Post added at 05:44 ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 ----------

sorry dear today when I opened I thought my yesterday post can not be processed that is why i have posted again
I have not seen page 2 where it was located.

If you want to charge direct from sun, without regulator there is a way but that needs care to implement.

If the batteries are fully charged, then the diode placed in series with the batteries and the load will keep it from discharging, so the diode is what protects the discharging. From this point on out, your circuit should work.

If the batteries are fully charged, then the diode placed in series with the batteries and the load will keep it from discharging, so the diode is what protects the discharging. From this point on out, your circuit should work.

What will stop charging of battery ? Battery voltage will raise and raise, seeking to equal solar cell voltage! On 14,2V water starting to boil with hydrogen gas, and battery will equal with solar panel cells voltage on around 15V!

7812 is regulator for 12V, it provide 1A of current, if you plan to charge lead acid battery you need at least 13,5V-13,8V depending from temperature. You can use LM338K its TO3 and provide max 5A of current, you can trim and set voltage to 13,8V for float charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back