Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Avnet Spartan-3 Evaluation Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB27

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
avnet spartan 3

Does anyone have Avnet Spartan-3 Evaluation Kit ADS-XLX-SP3-EVL400 or ADS-XLX-SP3-EVL1500?

Do use use PCI interface? Which PCI core?
How do you configure I/O pins?

spartan-3 startup kit

I have that board, but I havn't had time to spend much time on it yet. I know, I must find some time to play with it!

For a PCI core, I suggest looking at opencores.org.

I have one question though, is if you have downloaded applications to the FPGA. Do you have problem with the JTAG chain? Me, I have to hold the FPGA in reset, by pressing the reset or program button, while the bitfile is being downloaded, or else, I get errors. Do you have the same problem?

I tried switching between 2.5V and 3.3V IO, but no help. Probably some noise along the JTAG chain on the board...

how to program spartan3 flash

When I use "Automatically connect to cable and identify Boundary-Scan chain" it works fine. I can program Spartan-3 and flash devices successfully.
"Verify" should be unchecked for Spartan-3.

Option "Enter a Boundary-Scan chain" doesn't work. I get an error:
ERROR:iMPACT:583 - '1': The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.
INFO:iMPACT:1578 - '1': Device IDCODE : 00001011011011011011011011011011
INFO:iMPACT:1579 - '1': Expected IDCODE: 00000001010000110100000010010011

spartan 3 enter boundary scan

A simple IDCODE loop create problem. It pass something like 10 to 50 loops and then cry that the IDCODE mismatch. This is when the FPGA is running.

If I hold the PROG mode, the RESET button (when it's connected to internal GSR), or when the flash doesn't contain valid bitfile (i.e. when the FPGA start-up but doesn't run due to missing bitfile), then there's no problem. I can IOCODE loop 10000 times without problem. Same with programming.

I should try to program without verify, a few times, and after each time, verify. If the verify fail when the FPGA is already running, but give success when I hold PROG button, then it's probably a problem past the flash chip, in the JTAG chain.

However, this make any in-service boundary scan (dubbuging) impractical, if I have to hold PROG or RESET.

I don't have a scope. If I had one, I could verify where the signals get weak along the chain, and correct the problem.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.