Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Asynchronous FIFO depth calculation for continuous data write

Status
Not open for further replies.

sriharsha.hs

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Folks,

I am unable to calculate the FIFO depth, if the data is written to the FIFO with write clock continuously and read from the FIFO with respect to read clock continuously. Where, Write_frequency >= Read_frequency. Since the data written to the FIFO is continuous, I am unable to calculate the burst size. Because, I am writing, 1 byte for 8 clocks with respect to write clock frequency and reading 1 byte for every 8 clocks of Read clock domain.

Please reply.

Thank you.

You're description of the problem is inconsistent. First you tell us you're writing and reading continuously (on every clock edge?), then you tell us 1 byte every 8 clocks? Well which is it?

Besides that if you are using a write clock that is higher frequency than the read clock and you continuously write and read the FIFO you will eventually overflow regardless how deep you make the FIFO.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back