Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Astronomy and Astroimaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandopg

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
camera skynix 2.0m

Hi all,
Does anyone here like astronomy and astrophotography? If so, lets talk about it.

This is the activity that really gives me the required balance to go!! If you want to see some of the images I did early this year please follow the link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12330269@N02/

Best Regards all,

NandoPG

powermate x5 astrophoto

Dear NandoPG,
Hi,

I am interested in astronomy and begin to research in the field (instruments like telescope and ccd camera etc..).

the main problem for me is astronomy site finding. at the othe hand, which criteria are good for astronomy site,

can you introduce me a source regarding the astronomy site criteria and conditions??
thanks

ccd skynix 2.0m

Hi Manasiri,
Thanks for your reply.
Dependig on what type of activity you want to do the choice of a site is more or less impacting. Of course you will be to perform better any astronomical activity in a site with a steady atmosphere, with no light pollution and with a very good level of transparency. However, as said before, each one of these parameters will impact more or less depending what you intend to do.
Below I will list some of the most common astronomical activities in the context of an amateur astronomer and, based on my experience, analyse the impact the site parameters:

1- Comets, Asteroids and Supernovae hunting and variable star photometry/visual observation: The most important parameter here is the atmosphere transparency and in second place low level of light pollution. A steady atmosphere doesn't play an important rule in this case. For this activity you wll want to see the dimest star magnitude possible, and normally the job is done in reasonable wide field.

2- Galactic evolution: Here a steady atmosphere starts to be an important issue, once you might want to study galaxies with small aparent size. Light pollution comes in second place and transparency in third because of the dim light you will have to capture.

3- Planetary imaging/visual observations: Here a steady atmosphere is king. Usualy one work with less than 1 arc minute field of view so that any kind of turbulence will be enourmously magnified and the image will appear blurred with no details. Al the other parameters are almost irrelevant here.

4- Planetary nebulae imaging/visual observation: almost the same case as above, but transparency and light pollution pay an important role.

5- Widefield imaging in general: Here transparency is king followed by light pollution. Atmosphere stability almost doesn't matter.

Some suggestion as for ranking an observing site can be found in several books about CCD imaging, as for example: CCD Astrophotography: High-Quality Imaging from the Suburbs by Adam Stuart or Handbook of CCD Astronomy, 2nd Edition by Steve B. Howell.

Sorry about this long post but astronomy is a so exciting field that I use to lose control once I start chating.

NandoPG

Hi Friends,
I am just finishing to process some images of the 2008 Jupiter's apparition.

I got this image showing some details on Ganymed, one of the moons of Jupiter when it was coming out a transit. The atmosphere this day was exceptionally calm and stayd like that for no more than 8 minutes.

A very rare phenomenon that I would like to share.

NandoPG

Hi,

Nice shot, Been doing astrophotography for years. Not any latley but do like it myself also. What kind of scope do you have and imaging equip?

Regards

dfullmer

Hi dfullmer,
Thanks for the compliment.

For planetary imaging I use a telescope LX-200 GPS - 10 inches f/10 assembled on a equatorial wedge, the focuser is a TCF from Optec, disk wheel from Atik, RGB filters from Astronomik and a CCD Skynix 2.0M from Luminera.

I also use regularly a powermate x4 but in some exceptional nights I also use another powermate x2 making a total of x8 focal ratio extension.

I have my equipment assembled permanently in a small observatory where I rebuild my balance when things don't go that good!!

Best Regards,

NandoPG

nandopg,

I too have an LX200 although it is about 15 years old. Most of my astrophotography has been with film 35mm. ASA 1000 film with 20-45 minutes exposure. My system is an F6.3 because I wanted a faster scope for deep space stuff. I gave up the near solar system resolution that I would have got with an F10. I recently got a Nikon D300 that I want to try with the scope. My brief trials have been very exciting. I am very envious of a permanent place for you system that you describe. I would love to have that.

Best Regards

Dfullmer

Dfullmer,
Oh man that is so nice to know that you still have your scope!! With a 6.3 and a powermate x5 you are able to do great images of the planets and, as you said, be in very good shape for deep space imaging. I think you should try it.

To do planets I would recomend you to get a webcam and the very best are the ones manufactured by Phillips. You can gat one from any astronomical store with an adaptor for 1.25 inch input of your scope. The softawer to process the AVIs generated are free, REGISTAX that you should already know. You see, for planets having already a good scope, you would have to do a minimum incestment: a powermate x5 and a webcam!!

When you have some results from your attempt in deep sky, post one here. I would love to see it.

To build a small observatory is a matter to have some space in the backyard. Mine is a building of 3x4 meters with a rolling roof. In total I spended US$700,00. If you want I can send you some pictures of the mine showing some constructive details that you can use to design your own. Man, this is the most worthwhile investment I ever made!!

NandoPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back