Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

arm7<->linux how are they really connected??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufiorocks

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
plz help me understand,
1. how is an operating system exactly connected to arm 7.??
--my und -- program in c(keil) then compiler converts it and we upload the file in arm 7 through flash magic.
so how do we upload a whole operating system.
2. which all file formats(extensions) can we upload into arm 7.

**am a noob trying to learn.. :???: :???: :???: :???:

porting OS and just writing and program and uploading it using flash magic are entirely different concepts....

**broken link removed**

you can download hex file using any software supporting ARM 7..
you can also download .ELF and symbols file using JTAG link JLINK, ULINK etc.....

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

http://armputer.pbworks.com/f/porting_to_arm.pdf

Are you attempting to port Linux to a particular ARM7 board? Or just interested in the process?

The majority of ARM Embedded Linux Boards require the installation of a bootloader in the devices flash which then loads the Linux image from a secondary storage device like a SD, MMC, serial connection or network bootp server.

**broken link removed**

Getting started with uClinux

ARM Microcontroller HOWTO

These links should get you started in the right direction.

BigDog

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i want to attempt it..but dun have sufficient knowledge that is y i needed a direction..i have recently started working on arm 7 board.thanks a lot all..

What is the exact model of your ARM7 board? Can you provide a link to it online?

I need to see the specifics concerning your board.

BigDog

I came across this NXP appnote while researching another issue:

Reference: AN10389 Getting started uClinux with LPC22xx, pg. 23, Section: 1.3 uClinux for LPC22xx

Since its release in 1998, uClinux has supported wide range of CPU architectures as M68K, ARM, PowerPC, V850, etc.
LPC22xx is based on supported ARM7 processor. While with up to 64 MB external memory available, LPC22xx can fit for the relative big memory requirement of uClinux (2 MB at least).

Note that LPC21xx series can’t run uClinux since its limited internal memory size.

Unfortunately, this is usually the major issue in uCLinux compatible.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.