Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any way to improve accuracy of cheap GPS module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am playing with few cheap gps modules which is having a ceramic antenna on it. I am not so good in microwave and antenna design. I was thinking to connect a small wire to the solder point seen on the centre of the flat ceramic antenna. But still I am not getting much accuracy, so I think connecting a piece of wire will not work. (WHAT IS YOUR OPINION).
Also it seems that the flat ceramic antenna is designed in such a way that it will detect the 1.57542 GHz spectrum , almost like a band pass filter (not sure)...
So what can I do to improve the GPS reception accuracy? I found that the gps module gives good accuracy in some place where there is no huge buildings etc. So would you think that a ceramic antenna with more surface area than the antenna which comes with the module will increase the satellite signal reception?
Pls give suggestions and possible antenna modifications to make it more accurate.

You are stuck with the limitations of the internal circuitry and the reflections from buildings. GPS uses satellites at all angles in the sky. Narrowing the antenna pattern will reduce the number of satellites you use and degrade the accuracy. As a matter of history, GPS was invented for use by aircraft in the sky and not surrounded by reflecting objects.

When you have a limited view of the sky the accuracy of gps is degraded. This is calculated by the gps engine as Dilution of precision. Accuracy is better when satellites are spread across the sky. This is not the case if you are looking directly at the sky when surrounded by tall buildings. Improving signal reception will not do much difference in that case.
If in clear view of the sky you want to improve sensitivity you can try an active gps antenna.
Ceramic gps antennas have a bandpass gain and are carefully designed to match the impedance of the RF input of the receiver. Anything that you solder to it will degrade its performance.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back