Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amplifier problem - sound deteriorates and gets very poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linusswe

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tda7294 amplifier 12v

Hi!

guess this is the right forum for my question.

got a problem with a amplifier I built.

the amplifier is the kit from kitsrus nr 106 :https://kitsrus.com/pdf/k106.pdf consisting mainly of the IC: tda 7294

I get sound out of the circuit. BUT after a short while the sound deteriorate and gets very poor and distorted. if I disconnect the power and immediately connect again the sound gets clear but again distorted after a short while.

if I turn up the volume on the input pins it also clears for a short while. why?

anyone got any clues what this might depend on?

I power it from 3st 12v batteries because its used in a portable soundsystem. I use the 2 pins called +34v and -34v but leaves out the middle 0v. I gues 0v is used for some kind of stabilising if using unfiltered DC current?

Would be great with some support! my knowleadge of audio amplifiers are very limited.

thanks! //L

Re: amplifier problem

I think your problem is the missing 0V connection. In this schematic it is used to balance the internal circuitry (my guess is pin 2 does that). And then pin 4 has to be referenced to 0V.
So you will have to add it somehow. The easiest way to do it is to use a transformer and power the amplifier from that, rather than batteries.

amplifier problem

Minimum supply for TDA7294 is +/-10V, so it can work with two 12V batteries (with much lower output power), better 2x2 or 2x3 batteries.

amplifier problem

what you call 0V its proberly gnd, i would place bateries like this.:

1_1240253404.jpg

but i dont know how much power i can draw from that konfiguration, perhaps if it can´t give enough, place a 12V battery parralel to every battery on the picture for more power ...

amplifier problem

Hi!

yes I just tried that after similar tips from others. the result: my IC exploded! why?

I used 2 21,6v batteries instead of 3 12v but as someone pointed out the IC could run on as low as 10v. it should also have shortcircut-protection.

I know it was stupid to try it without a amp meter connected serial, that would have blown a fuse but not my IC :(

any suggestions why this setup does not work?

amplifier problem

it still sound to me like you got the wrong reference point on the TDA7294 GND pin, so you got 43,2V(21,6*2) on your supply pin, making the current to high, max voltage for the TDA7294 is +/-40V

other wise you could have placed a speaker whit to low a impedanz, for the TDA7294 to take...

perhaps you could draw a picture off your setup, from the batteries to speaker !??

Re: amplifier problem

Hi!

Thanks everybody for the response! very effective forum this.

I finaly solved the problem. replaced the burnt IC and connected it with 2 12V batteries as you described in this thread.

Im very happy with my portable amplifier. its built around 2 4" hi-fi car speakers from dls and cased in a plywood "box" wich looks much like an old ghettoblaster in shape.

Have been using it at roskilde festival before and my camp mates reaction on the plywoodbox was
" that piece will survive anything" but sadly the car radio I used as amplifier was very battery thirsty and after 3 hr needed recharge. the people in the "load your phone" tent started to loathe me after a while I think and we relied on the classic cassete decks everyone had in the camp.

thanks! /L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back