Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplification of RF signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirke

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to amplify RF signal.

After Receive it goes to LNA with amplification of 15-20dB.
I need to be able to amplify it from 30dB to 60dB.

What is better to do
To take the signal to a VGA of -10dB to 30dB and then to power amplifier or vice verse ?

or in other words, what is the preferable stage before the antenna : VGA or PA ?

Amir

If the system is a transmitter, the PA must be the last stage, before the antenna.

You give not enough information to get a reliable answer. If you are building a receiver, operation frequency is needed, RF bandwidth, dynamic range, and more.

Hey jiripolivka ,

I am asking general question. for every sort of frequency.
I specifically build a PCS and GSM repeater.

I just asked to determine that the final stage before transmitting to the antenna is PA, not VGA.

Thanks

Hey jiripolivka ,

I am asking general question. for every sort of frequency.
I specifically build a PCS and GSM repeater.

I just asked to determine that the final stage before transmitting to the antenna is PA, not VGA.

Thanks

For any particular application you should know and specify important parameters.

If you build a repeater, then it has certain center frequency at which it receives, and another or the same (if you use time multiplexing) on which it repeats.
So youd system consists of a receiver and a transmitter.
To design a receiver, one needs to know the bandwidth and noise figure (determining the noise floor), a maximum output power in a linear operation, filtering (to counter interference and crosstalk by adjacent channels); to equalize receiver output power, VGA gain range, AGC response, etc.
To design a transmitter, usually the output power and its control is important, efficiency and antenna matching.

You gave nothing of the above, so do not expect someone to invent all important details.

Rf small-signal amps (as compared to power amplifiers) find many uses around the stereo store as well as in the area. Sometimes, an increased indication level is required to work a analyze device such as a regularity reverse or service observe.

Thanks guys.

I understand that final stage before antenna transmitting RF must be a PA.

jiripolivka,
I said that I am workin with GSM and PCS, which has a clear definition of center frequencies and band width.
I just wanted to ask about the correct amplifier in the last stage.
What do you mean by AGC response ? can you give an example ?

Maurymw,
I don't understand your answer .

You already got the answer. The PA is the last stage before the antenna, and the VGA is driving the PA.

You already got the answer. The PA is the last stage before the antenna, and the VGA is driving the PA.

Yes Vfone.
I understood. I wrote this as well.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back