Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

altera PLL code in vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

misael1001||

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!!!

i'm doing a proyect, i need to use pll in altera FPGA, i'm using VHDL, then the first thing i thought was to use altera megafunction wizard to generate the code, but my teacher asked to me to not to use any kind of wizard, i should write the entire code from zero to use and configure the PLL in altera FPGA, i have no idea of how to start, I've been looking for information about the topic with any results, i hope you can help me with this

best regards

P.D. sorry i´m not so good at english

All the wizard does is generate VHDL you can cut and paste into your code to instantiate in VHDL. There is no VHDL code for a PLL (there maybe some models in the VHDL library though) but all you are doing is instatiating a primitive and giving it a load of settings. its much much much easier to set it up using the megawizard.

Otherwise you can read the user guide here: https://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_altpll.pdf

you need to include the library:

library altera_mf;
altera_mf.altera_mf_components.all;

in your code. In the ports and parameters section of the user guide above, all of the ports are ports for the port map, and the paramters are generics. There are 11 pages of parameters, with about 10 per page, so thats over 100 generics you may or may not need to set (depending on your chip).

The megawizard is MUCH easier.

thank you trickdicky i know that a wizard is much easier and fatest but i don't uderstand why my teacher ask me that thing, i forgot to mention is that he doesn't want the use libraries, i think he should give up and let me use the wizard, otherwise without wizard and without libraries it'll not be possible the use of the PLL.

Jymmi, i need to use the pll to divide the main frquency, but i need 2/3 of the main freq that is to obtain 33.33 MHz from 50 MHz :???:

does anyone of us have another idea instead the use of a PLL?

Regards

you cannot use a PLL in VHDL without using the altera_mf library. Tell your teacher this. If he doesnt beleive you then ask him to tell you how to do it (I bet he cant).

If he tells you to use a logic divider, get a new teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.