Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADS 1213P 22-bit ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

akash_joshi

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to use ADS 1213P which is 24bit ADC.
Should i use it in master SPI or Slave SPI mode
i am using atmega32 and if would be great if someone would let me know SPI code (Master or Slave mode) as i am not able to understand how to correctly write the code.
If not code then atleast let me know the flow of how to initialize SPI and how to transfer DATA.

Interfacing the ADS1213 can be a little complex, due to the flexibility of the device. You really must read the datasheet carefully, page 25 onwards and particularly the discussion of master and slave modes on page 29.

The chances are that you will want to use it in slave mode. That will probably yield a lower data throughput, but your MCU probably could not keep up with the ADS1213 in master mode!

It really depends what you want to do. You do know that the most critical aspect of your design will be the minimisation of noise around the ADS1213? A 24-bit ADC will show up everything that is not right with the circuit, power supply, layout and shielding and if you don't get it right, you might as well have used a 16-bit part. That will be much harder than working out the interface details.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Interfacing the ADS1213 can be a little complex, due to the flexibility of the device. You really must read the datasheet carefully, page 25 onwards and particularly the discussion of master and slave modes on page 29.

The chances are that you will want to use it in slave mode. That will probably yield a lower data throughput, but your MCU probably could not keep up with the ADS1213 in master mode!

It really depends what you want to do. You do know that the most critical aspect of your design will be the minimisation of noise around the ADS1213? A 24-bit ADC will show up everything that is not right with the circuit, power supply, layout and shielding and if you don't get it right, you might as well have used a 16-bit part. That will be much harder than working out the interface details.

Yes i completely agree with you but my first aim is to get it interfaced and get it working.Also, can you tell me proper grounding and shielding techniques so that we can minimize the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back