Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding DC to 100Vrms AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyaniccypher

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a 100Vrms AC signtal that varies in frequency from 40hz to about 15khz. I need to add a DC current (5V@5mA max) to this signal what is the best way of going about to do this. The signal is single ended and swings between +-141V around ground.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks;
Leo

Simply add an ungrounded DC power supply (e.g. from a USB AC wall adapter, or from a battery) in series with your AC signal.

I forgot the second part of the question which is more important. How do I measure the DC on the line. It is quite difficult to filter out out 100Vrms signal.

Thanks;

An ordinary analog voltmeter set on a low DC range. It will respond to average value. This means it will not show the AC component.

A digital meter may give inconsistent readings if you feed AC into a DC range.

Will the 100 V AC blow components in the meter when it's on a low DC range? Say your meter is 20,000 ohms/V. On the 10V range it presents 200k to the incoming signal. 100V will force 1/2 mA through resistors in the meter. For a total of 50 mW. Should be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back