Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding a bass to a simple Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expozen

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I got a simple Amp (vma2016 based) and i has no bass
Is there a way to add bass ? something simple i don't need some super performance

The biggest improvement often is to upgrade your speaker.

If your speaker is not designed to produce low frequencies, then you can only get so much out of it by sending it stronger bass. You may bust the speaker.

That said...

The chip has a gain control. If you search for articles, there may be an easy way to devise a tone control network and hook it up to the chip. (Maybe not, because it's a class D amplifier)

One way to boost bass is by attenuating the rest of the frequency spectrum. This can be as simple as installing a capacitor (or a pi shaped network using two capacitors) before the input to your power stage. The capacitor should start attenuating frequencies above, say 150 hz, to ground. You'll need to try a range of values, to find the one that works. Also try resistances inline with the capacitor. You don't want to lose all the highs and mids.

You can also boost bass by installing an inline inductor (choke). However dealing with coils and chokes involves time and effort to find the right component value. You may find it impractical.

Or you can boost bass by using an active filter based around a transistor/opamp. The other components are a capacitor and a few resistors. This is a good way to go if you need a pre-amp anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back