Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

about intergital capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanway

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all;
i am designing a low-pass filter, i found when estimating the capacitance of the planar intergital structue,capcaitance has great deal with the frequency.anyone can tell me how to reduce frequency effect and keep the capacitance a steady value in 1.9GHz¬2.2GHz ? Thanks in advance.

This effect comes into play at frequencies where your physical features become a fraction of the wavelength. The only ways to get around this is using other layout. Why not use simple two-layer capacitor? This guarantees better response!

thanks, i was asked not to design the capicatance with multilayers. now i have no good ideas sbout the parallel capacitances. anyone can help me? fc=2GHz, and the wavelength is about 124mm, and the value of the parallel capacitance is required about 6pF(so big value ,isn't it ?).

Well, you should remember the C=epsilon0*epsilonr*S/d formula. This is quite a good approximation for low frequency. You should simulate with planar EM simulator like momentum (ADS).

Is this cap used for decoupling? Why not use a radial stub instead then? Which stackup do you have?

thanks :), now i am designing a lowpass filter with suspended material. I first designed the LC lumped lowpass filter. then i realized these L,C component in distributed structures . for example : shunt C is realized in patch , but the series C (the value is about 6pF) isn't easy to realized . it also can be realized in interdigital capactances ,but the value is not steady . by frequence increasing by 100MHz ,the value change 2pF . I have no good idea to make the value of capactance steady.

You don't need series C for low pass filter.

Make a design with parameterized dimensions, use planar EM solver and do an overall optimization cycle. That will result in best performance.

I make the series L to parallel LC in order to produce the transmission zeros near the cutoff frequence because the filter require very high out-band attenuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back