Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A new resonant DC-DC converter: Pe17 circuit

Atal

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I hereby present my newly invented resonant DC-DC converter circuit, named 'Pe17 circuit'.

view1.PNG

view2.PNG

Features:
* Resonant half/full bridge inverter, utilizing ZVS operation.
* Constant frequency switching.
* Wide input/output voltage range operation capability, suitable also for EV battery chargers.
* Higher efficiency and power density.

Brief intro:

For more details, see US patent - US11139734:

Attached:
Presentation providing comparison between the Pe17 circuit and the LLC resonant circuit.
LTSpice simulation files for evaluation.

Attachments

• Comparison of the Pe17 circuit and the LLC resonant circuit for power supply DC-DC conversion.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 269
  • simulation.zip
    70.2 KB · Views: 184
Still room for the improvement with 6% ripple Vpp
This ripple can be halved by replacing the 2x 1500 µF output capacitors with 4x 2200 µF ones (cost more money and space).
In detailed simulation, set C6=150n, C11=8.2n, R40=6k, R44=11k, R55=1k, Tdelay of V1 to 2.6 ms, and remove D15 and R42.

vout.PNG

It goes without saying that 3000 µF is an absurdly low amount of reservoir for a 12 V output at this power level, and 6% load transition ripple still complies with ATX PSU specifications.

Last edited:
Regarding the Onsemi appnote for Gan-based 300W LLC DC-DC converter, 1650µF were used for 19 V output while the full-load to no-load transition ripple was 1.2 V (~6%) even with the additional current feedback. Scaling it for a 500 W 12 V output, ~6800µF are required. Of course that a typical 500 W PSU employs at least 10 elcaps at the output, amounting to much more than 6800µF.

2.png

Last edited:
Take for example the HDPLEX 250W GaN and the PlayStation 5 ADP-400DR, which are not standard ATX power supplies, yet these amass respective 9000µF and 13000µF.

HDPLEX 250W GaN.jpg

ADP-400DR.jpg

How do you convince OEM buyers which supply is better on metrics?

Cost vs Performance vs size vs reliability for high volume benign consumer environments.

cents per Watt? vs % overshoot vs % ripple vs tolerances vs??

From my past experience in the 80's & 90's, Engineering would try to qualify 2 of the suppliers for performance and test all of the 30 pages of specs to and beyond limits then allow changes to comply with all environmental limits and perform 20 unit elevated temp. power cycling MTBF tests. Then if they passed DVT tests to get qualified, purchasing would negotiate for best price and delivery. These were the likes of Hammond, Brown, Lambda, Shindengen, PowerOne and Fujitsu.

Last edited:
How do you convince OEM buyers which supply is better on metrics?

Cost vs Performance vs size vs reliability for high volume benign consumer environments.

cents per Watt? vs % overshoot vs % ripple vs tolerances vs??

From my past experience in the 80's & 90's, Engineering would try to qualify 2 of the suppliers for performance and test all of the 30 pages of specs to and beyond limits then allow changes to comply with all environmental limits and perform 20 unit elevated temp. power cycling MTBF tests. Then if they passed DVT tests to get qualified, purchasing would negotiate for best price and delivery. These were the likes of Hammond, Brown, Lambda, Shindengen, PowerOne and Fujitsu.
It's difficult for me to answer, since I've no marketing skills or affinity.
I believe your engineering experience back then was different and more qualitative than what is nowadays.

But you must choose a design based on cost vs performance, right?
So how do you compare?

e.g. Cost of passives vs active parts relative to efficiency and %error+noise over range of load?
or cost of Rdson vs performance for SiC FET , IGBT vs Si and
ESR of C's vs ESR*C for gang effects vs Tr or f

Last edited:
But you must choose a design based on cost vs performance, right?
So how do you compare?

e.g. Cost of passives vs active parts relative to efficiency and %error+noise over range of load?
or cost of Rdson vs performance for SiC FET , IGBT vs Si and
ESR of C's vs ESR*C for gang effects vs Tr or f
See the Pareto surface in the graph below - there's an optimal spot to which the design is supposed to converge.

pareto surface.PNG

It was taken from a presentation of ETH Zurich university:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: