Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A hopeful shot in the dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSUjr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
First, I would like to say that I am pleased to be part of a community of electronic savvy folks.

I am new to electronics, so presently I'm working on kits.

However, my limited experience has already shown me that there are also many others working on kits as well.

So, with so many folks working on kits, I'm wondering if some of them are housing any of their completed units.

This thinking has brought me to ask folks here if anyone could suggest any viable avenues for one to persue that will provide ideas, designs and methods of housing ones' newly constructed electronic units.

With appreciation,
Charles

This is an interesting topic you have started. I think we all have this particular problem.

Building printed circuit boards is the easy bit ..... presenting the finished project in a decent looking housing is the difficult part.

It will be very interesting to see the techniques used by members of this forum.

Well, for all that might be interested; let me begin with a few of my thoughts.

First, I am building a small electronic unit that has a digital display and a display activation button.

The board that it is built on measures approximately 2 5/8" long x 1 1/2" wide x 1/2" in height.

This unit is powered by a 9V battery which measures 2" x 1" x 5/8".

I want to house this entire unit, including the battery.

I want the housing to have a 3/4" x 1/2" window for the display, a 3/8" round hole for the display activation button and a door to access the battery and the reset button (which is 3/8" x 1/8 high").

Since I want the display to be housed as well, but visible, my first thought on the material to use for this housing is clear plastic (at least for the top portion of the housing).

I am considering using thin plastic sheet material (approx. 1/16" thick) for this top portion of the display.

This will allow me to easily drill a hole for the display activation button.
I can create a paper mask with a rectangular hole for the display and a round hole for the button.
I can also print descriptive and aesthetic graphics on this mask to highlight the unit.
Once done, I can simply adhere the mask to the clear plastic.

This will take care of the face of the housing.

To construct the rest of this housing, I am considering making an open-ended frame for the sides of the unit and a flat frame with a hinged door (for battery access) for the bottom of the housing. Then attach the face to the top and the hinged door to the bottom of this frame.

But, from here, that I find myself stuck on a few points.

First, I’m not sure if I should continue using plastic for the rest of the housing or use another material such as wood.

Although, this material will determine the final appearance and aesthetics of the housing, the major point of this decision seems to be resting on; what material might be best for the attachment and use of a hinge (for the battery access door).

While this will remain to be an important point, my primary concern at this time is the configuration of this housing.

This seems to come down to 2 options;
1. Place the battery beneath the circuit board.
2. Place the battery next to (on the side of) the circuit board.

Placing the battery beneath the circuit board will make the housing as tall as it is wide.
2 3/4” long x 1 1/2” wide x 1 1/2” in height

Placing the battery on the side of the circuit board will help to maintain the height of the finished unit (approx. 3/4”) and increase the dimensions of the face of the unit.

This second option seems more desirable than the first because it will help to make the finished unit more flat and rectangular than in the first option and, even more important, it will provide additional space on the face of the unit for more descriptive and aesthetic graphics.

However, this presents another challenge.

This seems to mean that it might be best to build a separate housing (with a hinged door) for the battery and then attaching that to (or encase that into) the primary housing.

In either case, it takes me back to the decision of what materials that might be best to use.

So, these are some of my initial thoughts on this subject.

I do realize that this subject might be a bit off-center to the primary purpose of this forum but I hope that this helps to serve as some “food for thought” to those that are also dealing with such matters.

In closing, I would like to add that just listing my thoughts as I have has helped to bring more clarity to my goal and perhaps that might also help to serve others as well.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.