Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 x 8MSPS video into a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketmagnet

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have a problem: I've got five tiny CMOS image sensors (2mm x 2mm), each in a small space (about 10mm x 15mm). They take a clock signal in, and output an analog signal, requiring an 8MSPS ADC each. Somehow I need to get the image data into a PC. This is difficult because of the tight space constraints.

Ideally, I'd like to locally sample the data with a DSP, and video-encode it, at which point, it will be relatively easy to get into the PC via an EtherCAT bus which is close by.

The problem is, how on earth can I get 8MSPS into a tiny DSP in a tiny space?
I know there are some pretty small DSPs, but:
Are there any tiny DSPs with 8MSPS ADCs?
Are there any tiny 8MSPS ADCs?

I have looked hard, but I cannot find any. :(

Many thanks

Hugo Elias

I did that sort of thing a long time ago for a stereoscopic endoscope. Parts have got smaller and faster since then, but I used an FPGA to sort out the data and send it as a single serial bit stream.

I think I would probably do a similar thing with your problem and maybe look for a single, fast ADC to multiplex around the cameras and an FPGA/CPLD to combine the data for serialising.

Mind you, there are plenty of fast ADCs with multiple inputs as well, so that may be an option. AD9212 or AD9252 for example.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back