Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 phase stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medtronic

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
i have a stepper motor with 6 terminal and called 5 phase stepper motor
have any one can tell how we can drive it by 8051 or any micro
thanks alot

You are going to need more data on the motor I would imagine, but 5 phase is just a continuation of the 3 phase "Brushless" motor design expanded to give even higher resolution stepping, typically 125,000 steps per revolution, you will need to generate a PWM'd pulse on phase 1 and then wait to detect the inducted pulse generated by the other phases as they rotate past the fixed magnets, then you move onto phase 2 and repeat, phase 3 and so on, if you can get hold of a basic 3 phase control schematic you should be able to work out how to adapt it to 5 phases.

I am not a brushless motor control expert however and my explanation will be over simplistic and probably lacking in a few areas but the basics are right.

In terms of how the motor is wound well typically you have 2 setups, star or delta, which one is used I don't know, its something you will have to probe with a meter or get the motors datasheet.

u need to give a pulse at one phase then after a delay give the pulse to second phase n so on in a cyclic way.the delay can b minimun depending on the motor.u can also give pulses to adjacent phases together to generate more torque, then remove phase 1 n apply to phase 2n3. u ll need high current to drive these motor,so µc cant drive it.u can interface it with many stepper motor driver ic or use ULN2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back