Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

400MHz 100W class E amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy peasy

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All, is there such a thing as a push pull class E, RF amp?

any pointers, links on 100W 400MHz amps, preferably class E

greatly appreciated - including practical aspects of filter construction to weed out the non 400MHz bits

kind regards

Push-pull class E means to operate two single ended stages with a 180° combiner, transmission line transformer or similar. Advantage is cancellation of second order harmonics.

You can check if this component meets your requirement.

Attachments

• BPC10M6X2S200.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 100

Sure it's possible to make a push pull class E. If you truly want the defining characteristics of class E (switching when V=0 and dV/dt=0), then the design equations will be completely different from the standard single ended class E.

If you don't need a "true" class E, then you can consider the current mode class D, which is a push pull switchmode topology, but doesn't satisfy the dV/dt=0 switching criteria. 400MHz at 100W shouldn't be too hard using GaN FETs.

I don't say they don't exist but I never seen, not even a simple schematic, of a high power, high frequency (>100W, >400MHz) Class-E, Push-Pull PA.
I've seen Class-E Push-Pull PAs working at 13.56MHz and 27MHz, but not at 400MHz.

Yes, the max power you can get out of a single device is highly dependent on frequency, mainly due to parasitic inductances (especially the source/emitter). To get CW 100W at 400MHz, I'd guestimate you'd need 3-5 amplifier cells, depending on what means you use to cool the devices.

Why Class-E ?? In regard of Efficiency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.