Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

28dBm & 60Ghz - Health hazard or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard66

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Not sure if its the right place to ask but you guys seem quite knowledgable on the subject.

I am considering buying a wireless HDMI transmitter, the DVDO AIR 2K.

It would connect a BluRay player to a projector.

This product claims a EIRP of 28dBm and the signal frequency is 60gHz.
The emitter and receiver need to be in direct line of sight so I assume the signal is somehow unidirectional. In my application both units would be 5m apart.

My head (and brain) would be sitting at 50cm or so from the receiver (not in front of it but underneath and to the side).

Does it represent a health hazard?

(They proudly advertise the technology is inspired from radars, which rather scares me to be honest ;) )

Thanks @biff44,
I was worried because I saw a recommendation, for something similar, to stay one meter away.
But half a meter should indeed be plenty enough :)

The emitter and receiver need to be in direct line of sight so I assume the signal is somehow unidirectional. In my application both units would be 5m apart.
direct line of sight is not an indication of unidirectionality.
it is an indicator of a narrow antenna pattern

Might look at microwave / mmwave absorption spectrum to get an idea of how much would be absorbed as heat.

Some bands are popular because they sit on atmospheric (incl water vapor) absorption peaks making them local so no license needed.

+28dBm is about half a watt and spread across the whole body, is a nit. Tucked up against your nads, maybe not so good. But this isn't that kind of appliance, per description.

Thanks @biff44,
I was worried because I saw a recommendation, for something similar, to stay one meter away.
But half a meter should indeed be plenty enough :)
now you are not making sense.
you say your head is 50 cm from the RECEIVER.
but it is the TRANSMITTER that you need to stay away from, which is presumably many meters away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back