Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic transfer Switch (help me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elson

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
does anybody know where I can find any schematic about an Automatic transfer switch? or some information that can help me to build one? because I am trying at a long time, but I don't have any idea, I would like to do something using a pic microcontroller.
i already made the hardware, but i´m trouble with the software for the PIC.

it would be something as in the diagram below, but it can be using relay.

I would be very grateful if anybody could help me.

Elson said:
does anybody know where I can find any schematic about an Automatic transfer switch? or some information that can help me to build one? because I am trying at a long time, but I don't have any idea, I would like to do something using a pic microcontroller.
i already made the hardware, but i´m trouble with the software for the PIC.

it would be something as in the diagram below, but it can be using relay.

I would be very grateful if anybody could help me.

What does exactly?
Is a system to reinforce or regulate the AC line?

It seems like you are either trying to build a UPS, uninterruptable power supply, or you are trying to emulate one.

You know the frequency of the AC, so what you need is a zero crossing detector. You sense the zero crossing and then start a timer. The timer is set longer than 1 cycle of the AC. If the timer expires before the next zero crossing then you know the power source has failed and you can switch in the alternate. The output voltage is missing for a cycle or two, but it is not enough to effect any downstream equipment.
Take a look at the Microchip web site. They used to have a project for an AC lamp dimmer. In that project they explain how to configure the zero crossing detector. After that it is just some coding.

folks said:
What does exactly?
Is a system to reinforce or regulate the AC line?

Hi Folks,

The purpose of a static switch to provide power to the load under all conditions. During normal operation the UPS 1 or another source is connected to the load through the static switch. However, during abnormal modes the static switch will transfer the load to the UPS 2 or to preferred source.

Status
Not open for further replies.