Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend Resistor type for RF Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalyst

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Could anyone recommend the best (stable) types of resistor to use for RF circuits operating between 1MHz and 30MHz ?

Plus, How can i measure the resistance of a resistor at a specific frequency? Can i just use an impedance analyser?

Thanks for your time

Cat

Catalyst,
Stable film resistors are available in both surface mount and through-hole mounting styles. Vshay makes a line of extremely stable resistors.
~
An impedance analyzer will work. However, in you frequency range of interest, the effects of parasitic inductance and capacitance is wuite small, especially for surface mount resistors.
Regards,
Kral

Catalyst,
It's difficult to say without knowing your exact application. Surface mount resistors are almost always better than the equivalent through-hole mount styles in terms of parasitic capacitance and inductance. The smalller the resistance value is, the smaller will be the impact of parasitic capcaitance. Through-hole resistors of this type are usually suitable for RF applications in your frequency range. The Vishay resistor you show is available from multiple suppliers. In my earlier post regarding ultra stable resistors, I was referring to tempcos on the order o 10ppm or better. For example, see
h**p://www.vishay.com/company/press/releases/2005/050218resistors/
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.