Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a biggener needs help with encoders

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoHa111

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
i need a 16 to 4 line encoder in my project
and i can't find an IC for that
plz can anybody tell me if it is available or not?and tell me plz the part no.
anyway,i try 2 make a simple calculator using pic16F627 and for the numbres from 0-9 and the operations(+,-,*,/) i wanna them to be on PORTB(RB4:RB7) to use the interrupt on "port change" feature...so how can i use these pins on these 4 pins???unless an encoder is used
plz help
thx all

for 16 keys u can make a keypad matrix 4*4 then by a single port (4 row + 4 col = 8 pins) u can take input

as u said u want to use only 4 pins because u want to use the port change interrupt, the value can be updated without using interrupt, if u r using a matrix u can scan rows / colomns in high speed and can update value,

but if u still want to use encoder u can cascade two 74148

regards

Take a look at 74C922 IC ( **broken link removed** ).
It is 16-key encoder ..
Regards,
IanP

hello
y r u going for the complexity
just use 4X3 keypad having 4 rows n 3 colomns and program it matrix wise when ever whatever key is presed it scans the key and give the output
and use AND OR function for the caucultor
or else use 2 40147
regards
haider :)

Status
Not open for further replies.