Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] USB type B receptacle in printer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
A printer with a type B receptacle should or should not have 5VDC supply in it ?
If not; can adding internally 5V from the printer rail to the proper USB-B pin allow the printer to work on WiFi using the attached adapter ? :

Or, installing to the printer, an USB-A mating receptacle instead ?

Or gets more complex than that ?

Attachments

• 300Mbps-Wireless-Wifi-USB-Adapter-1.jpg
    300Mbps-Wireless-Wifi-USB-Adapter-1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 105

Re: USB type B receptacle in printer...

The USB type B connector on a printer is typically for USB flash drives, USB HDD/SSD drives, or some other storage device, which means the USB port has 5V power. The printer has to include drivers for those storage devices, but is unlikely to have any other driver for other devices.

I highly doubt the printer manufacturer would have any generic drivers for some USB WiFi adapter for a desktop computer built into the printer. Most of the printer manufactures lose money on the printers and any extra features that aren't necessary at the printer's price point won't be included, either as some DNI'd components or as driver software. Also give most of the printer manufactures already have "network capable" printers with Ethernet RJ45 jacks and/or WiFi (at a much higher price point), it is even more unlikely they would allow the capability to just add a USB WiFi adapter to get a network capable printer.

Hi,

The USB type B connector on a printer is typically for USB flash drives...
Isn´t a "type A" for a storage device?

Klaus

Just connected one of those $3 WiFi adapter antennas to a laptop USB port and was able to navigate the internet.

----> https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-150...204108&hash=item362373048a:g:t2sAAOSwrWZZ4W0I

Surprised, I have now my printer dismantled looking for a 5V point to connect a USB type A female receptacle using the data pins on the B type USB receptacle. The intention is to have both wired USB-B and wireless conectivity.

Having trouble trying to identify a voltage regulator part number 386120 TO252 by Naritoshi found on the printer board.

Hi,

Isn´t a "type A" for a storage device?

Klaus

You are right, I was mistaking that the OP was trying to directly connect the pictured USB WiFi adapter antennas to the printer using a USB A port (used typically for printing pictures from a thumb drive.

I now see they want to connect the WiFi adapter to the printer through its USB B port (device side) connection. As the USB hub (e.g. PC with USB A ports) and the USB B device side do different things they are not going to get this to work even if they add power to the port. The WiFi adapter needs to connect to a hub and have something "smart" (a processor) running driver software to work.

This is like connecting two USB hard drives together and expecting to be able to transfer data between them. You just wasted $3 if you expected to use that WiFi adapter, if you have an old computer lying around you can use that adapter and the old computer to build a printer server (that wastes a lot of power, it needs to be on 24/7).

Think of the old parallel centronics port on printers, the PC side you could have bi-direction communication and a driver could be used for things like adding parallel port drives and software license dongles. The smarts of the parallel port communicatiion were in the PC not the printer. That printer port was changed to be USB-B and functions the same way, i.e. it's dumb, the smarts are in still in the PC.

The "smart" port in a printer is the USB-A ports, if you have one, which has a hub and a processor attached to deal with dumb devices that get plugged into the USB port, e.g. thumb drives.

If your printer doesn't have built in WiFi, you can either look for a wireless print server or hook the printer up to another WiFi router, either directly though the USB (some WiFi routers have printer ports) or via an Ethernet connection if the printer has one. You'll have to set up the WiFi router properly probably as a WiFi repeater bridge.

Here is the type of item you need: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX21P7863 I'll leave it to you to find one that doesn't have such bad ratings. ;-)

Here is one that has more features has better ratings and is less expensive at least today...https://www.amazon.com/Hawking-Technology-Wireless-N-Multifunction-HMPS2U/dp/B00AKXOVG6/ref=pd_sbs_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PT6GW1AG16X29TVZPA1H

Status
Not open for further replies.