Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Distorted radiation pattern for antenna array in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

butlermatrix

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am using ADS 2016 and to reduce the time taken for each simulation I have reduced the Mesh Density (cell/wavelength) to 5 and the solver compression level to "Reduced". Do these changes anyhow distort the radiation pattern I get as an outcome of my experiment?
I can observe from the figure below that I have grating lobes and to reduce them I need to lower or equal the inter element spacing to λ/2 mm. I am working with an inter-element spacing of 1.9 mm.
Is the problem below a problem with my design and concept or some issue with the software which I am not understanding?
I am attaching the file below.
Any sort of help will be much appreciated.

error1.jpg

Re: distorted radiation pattern for antenna array in ADS

reduced the Mesh Density (cell/wavelength) to 5

Why?

Mesh density controls the possible current distribution, and 5 cells per wavelength (with linear current gradient on each cell) is not enough to represent the correct physical currents flowing on your circuit.

A common default value is 20 cells/wavelength. For antennas where accuracy is not as critical, 10 cells/wavelength might be enough.

cells_wavelength.PNG

Last edited:

How critical is the effect of the solver compression level in the antenna simulations which I am performing?

How critical is the effect of the solver compression level in the antenna simulations which I am performing?

I never changed that setting because my machine has 48GB anyway, but just looking at the setting now: is this really what you want? Doesn't reduced compression take more memory?

qthelp://ads.2016.01/doc/em/Defining_Solver_Settings.html

"Doesn't reduced compression take more memory"
I dont think so. may be the higher I go the more complicated its for the system to provide the performance. As if I set the solver compression level to normal the system always gives me this warning and I receive an error in performance.
ads_error2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back