Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure the amount of power generated by solar energy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okada

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to measure amount of power generated by solar energy ?

How to measure amount of power generated by solar energy ?

Is there any sensor for it ?

Here in India a lot of solar Inverter manufacturers are cheating people by joining hands with the govt. based electricity department.

If 6 KW power is generated by Solar Inverter then it shows 5.7 KW power generated. So, the electricity department pays for only 5.7 KW.

So, I am planning to make a Solar Inverter in which a sensor is used which based on sun light intensity and no. of solar panels and each panel voltage and current flowing it calculates exact amount of energy produced. What sensor can I use ? I want to make a solar Inverter with data logger which has RTC and which logs daily power generated value to a microSD Card.

Re: How to measure amount of power generated by solar energy ?

You'll measure the real power delivered to the grid. It's the job of a calibrated energy meter, either electromechanical or electronical.

The energy delivery has to be measured at the defined feed point rather than the inverter place. Nobody will pay for the energy wasted in your in-house cables.

In India to get a product approved by Indian Govt. mainly Congress the manufacturer has to pay a lot of bribe (huge amount). They get their product approved by govt. by paying bribes and then they join their hands with govt. based systems and make a lot of money. Even energy meter manufacturers also bribe these govt. officials to get approved. We have measured with parallel system and the value of power generated varies once or twice a month. When large no. of panels are used then these people cheat people very much.

I have to stop it. I need sensor to use with 24 Bit LTC2440 ADC to measure accurately upto microwatt power generation.

As said, the energy/power must be measured on the inverter's AC side.

You need to understand AC real power measurement methods. LTC2440 isn't particularly suited for AC measurements, instead use energy meter chips, e.g. from Analog Devices. Measuring DC power on the panel side is interesting to monitor inverter efficiency, but irrelevant for billing.

Status
Not open for further replies.