Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS image sensor for custom project

Status
Not open for further replies.

navarromoral

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have to build a system based on an FPGA that, besides other tasks, has to take pictures periodically from 3 different image sensors. For that, I need a CMOS image sensor whose specifications include a resolution around 5MP, auto-focus, maybe JPEG output.
I found some image sensors from OmniVision, but they quite old and the datasheet is confidential (although it is easily found on the web). What image sensor can you recommend?

The system is not linux-based, so I cannot rely on any driver to make the image sensors work.

Thanks a lot!

How many frames per second?
What's wrong with omnivision?
What communication protocol do you intend to use?

Thanks Shaiko!

As I said I don't care the fps since it is intended to be used for still images.
The problem with OmniVision is all image sensors I found are too old (obsolete), if you know of a relatively new one with its datasheet free to download, please tell me.
The communication protocol is neither important as long as the protocol is open.

Thanks!!

The communication protocol is neither important as long as the protocol is open.
A lot of newer sensors use MIPI - can your FPGA accept MIPI ?

To be honest I don't know this protocol, but it doesn't seem free (I saw only members can download the specs). Nevertheless I am almost sure I could use it if it is worth. What image sensors can you recommend??

Thanks a lot!

I would try Onsemi.
They're widely available on Mouser.
Get an evaluation board and play with it

You can get cheap and good cameras with MIPI CSI-2 interface (like Raspberry Pi camera) but unfortunately one have to pay to get specs of this protocol.
Take a look at D5M by Terasic - it is a camera development package and they provide Verilog code. I guess that you could use the same chip in your project.

Thanks a lot for the info.

I have been taking a look at On Semi sensors and they seem quite good. The only problem I encountered is that the provided datasheet doesn't seem to be complete (I could't find the register map for example). Do you know how I could get it for a particular sensor?

BTW, do you know what image sensor does the D5M board mount? I think it is a Micron one (Acquired by On Semi IIRC)

Thanks a lot!

It seems that D5M does have MT9P001 - take a look at "D5M Outgoing Defect Specification" at Terasic website, in the header of that PDF file you can see "MT9P001: Outgoing Defect Specification". From Terasic website you can get ZIP file with system CD shipped with camera module and there is a PDF describing register map and timings: TRDB-D5M_Hardware specification_V0.2.pdf

This project looks promising as well: https://github.com/ShiGGie/FPGA-OV7670-cam

Thank you both!
I am having a look at these sensors and I think they will fit my needs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back