Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using variables or signals in procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahmood.n

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Trying to use "procedure" in a vhdl code, I have been confused with using variables or signals. Consider the following code

Code:
entity proc_adder is
	port( a,b: in bit_vector(1 downto 0);
	cin: in bit;
	sum: out bit_vector(1 downto 0);
	cout: out bit);
end;
architecture proc of proc_adder is
procedure full_adder( a, b, c: in bit; s, co: out bit) is
begin
	s := a xor b xor c;
	co := (a and b) or (a and c) or (b and c);
end;
begin
	process( a, b, cin )
	  variable carry: bit;
	begin				
		full_adder( a(0), b(0), cin, sum(0), carry);
		full_adder( a(1), b(1), carry, sum(1), carry);
	end process;
end;

It says: Formal "s" of class variable must be associated with a variable. If I use a variable in the process and then assign the variable to sum, then it will be OK. I wonder why I get that error. Does that mean, I have to pass only variables to a procedure? If the answer is yes, then why passing a(0) and .. as inputs don't have such problem.

In VHDL, the default class of a "in" on a procedure is constant, and the default class for an "out" is a variable. "Out" cannot be constant
In a procedure call, variables must be connected to variables, and signals must be connected to signals. Constants can be connected to anything.

Your code has the s an co as variables. Hence they must be connected to variables.
If you want to connect them to signals, then decalre them as signals:

Code VHDL - [expand]
procedure full_adder( a, b, c: in bit; signal s, co: out bit) is
begin
    s := a xor b xor c;
    co := (a and b) or (a and c) or (b and c);
end;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor