Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component choice and Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrischina

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two questions in one:

I have collected some schematic from datasheet from manufacturer of chip. Inside the datasheet there are the following circuit shown below.

1./ The manufacturer don't provide the BOM, so I don't have part number for all those small passive components. How to decide which one to use in terms of tolerance, X5R/X7R, Voltage, package ?

2./ On some schematic there are some polarized capacit, typically some round cylinder space consumming. By what type of SMD can I replace those big cylinder to make the circuit smaller ?

While answering this question, please explain it so I can understand what logical methodology you are using accelerometer.jpgLDO.jpg

Hi,

Usually in the datasheet you find a section called "capacitor selection", there you find all informations you need.

Klaus

There are not , this is the reason of my post. Not all datasheet are always detailed.

1./ The manufacturer don't provide the BOM, so I don't have part number for all those small passive components. How to decide which one to use in terms of tolerance, X5R/X7R, Voltage, package ?

Look at the component and ask the question: what will happen if the component is replaced with another with a different tolerance? In other words, is the specific component performing some critical task? If it is a capacitor, and you find one with a very high voltage specified, ask the question: why such a high voltage was specified? If your circuit voltage is 12V and you find some capacitors with spec of 47V, perhaps they were really not needed (25V would have been sufficient).

2./ On some schematic there are some polarized capacit, typically some round cylinder space consumming. By what type of SMD can I replace those big cylinder to make the circuit smaller ?

They are performing some non-critical (filter) work and they can be safely replaced with SMD caps of suitable voltage ratings. Even the values are not critical, you can safely replace with the next lower or higher value.

Hi,

There are not , this is the reason of my post. Not all datasheet are always detailed.

From datasheet:
Capacitor Requirements
For stability and minimum output noise, a capacitor on
the regulator output is necessary. ......

--> read datasheet. There also are application notes.
If we should give advice we need to read them, too.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.