Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Basic & Antennas tutorials(2.4GHz/5Ghz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WirelessIce

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone !
Well, I'm new in the field of RF. I have worked on few basic RF modules(like 433MHz Tx/Rx module, CC2500 Wireless Transceiver module) but these are way different from what I want to do now.
I wanted to explore more in this field and start searching for related stuff on google. It gave me so many links. Now the problem is I am confused where to start?:bang:
Objective:-
What I am trying to do is to develop a product based on 2.4/5GHz for long distance communication with maximum throughput, following the standard communication protocols (802.11a/b/g/n) basically a Wlan(for example modules like ubiquity airgrid or rocketm5 or radwin).
I know there are SoC's like atheros wlan AR9280 but what about radio front end circuit? how to develop matching antenna? :drevil:
Help Needed - I need to develop this product from the start i.e. from PCB to complete product, so you can guide me on anything.
Please provide me with tutorials, books, papers, site links regarding the same. Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

Do tell me what is this(red circled thing) in image? I have seen it in many RF devices, Earlier I considered it as an antenna but there was already an antenna in device.

**broken link removed**

Consider me a full newbie in the RF field, so you can give me tips on anything.
Consider I don't know anything about antennas and how they work. Consider I don't know how to increase RF power using FEM.

p.s. - I have worked with many microcontrollers like atmel, pic, avr and ARM, so programming (if needed) will not be a problem.

Thank You!!

Last edited by a moderator:

How far do you consider to be "long distance"?
Do you want your equipment to be legal for unlicensed use?

2.4GHz is generally unsuitable for long distance use because there are many other users.

By long distance I meant range starting from 1Km to 30Km(above this will be a plus), such modules are for outdoor operations. Yes it will be Unlicensed Band Radio(UBR) and 2.4/5GHz both are Unlicensed, so it is legal. I can go to a maximum 1Watt(30dBm) i.e maximum transmitter output power of 1 Watt (4 Watts Effective Radiated Power).

Image in my #1 post went missing so I am uploading it here..
Unknownred.png

Measure TX impedance. measure antenna impedance, create a conjugate matching network. 1 km and free optical sight reliable connection can probably be done with any reasonable directive antenna.
For 30 km is a well designed parabolic dish in both ends enough. At that distance must antenna height be high enough for optical sight. Search for Fresnel zone.
802.11n -> more then one antenna structure is needed.

Do tell me what is this(red circled thing) in image? I have seen it in many RF devices, Earlier I considered it as an antenna but there was already an antenna in device.
It's a miniature RF connector (apparently Hirose U.FL), presently unconnected. It can be jumpered either to the transmitter or the antenna to perform impedance measurements, antenna performance tests, output power and harmonic measurements, sensitivity tests.

Or to provide an external connector replacing the internal antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.