Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with abnormal reset behavior in synthesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BartlebyScrivener

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a 9 tap fir filter to learn how to synthesize SystemVerilog code using Quartus. My code works in simulation and synthesizes however when I look at the RTL viewer it appears that instead of connecting my signal `rst` to the reset of each DFF, it connects `rst` to the select of a multiplexer and multiplexes the input to my registers with 0s!

Is there some particular rst design I am missing?
Code:
module fir9 (
  output logic signed [10:0] y,
   input logic signed [3:0] x,
   input logic signed [4:0] c [0:8],
   input logic rst,
   input logic clk);

logic signed [4:0]  x_delay [0:8];
      logic signed [8:0]  mult [0:8];

always_ff@(posedge clk) begin
    if(rst) begin
      for(int i=0; i<9; i++) begin 
        x_delay[i] <= 0;
        mult[i] <= 0;
      end
      y <= 0;
    end else begin
      x_delay[0] <= x;
      for(int i=1; i<9; i++) x_delay[i] <= x_delay[i-1];
      for(int i=0; i<9; i++) mult[i] <= x_delay[i] * c[i];
      y <= mult[0] + mult[1] + mult[2] + mult[3] + mult[4] + mult[5] + mult[6] + mult[7] + mult[8];
    end
  end

endmodule

This is because the registers in Altera devices dont have a synchronous reset input, so sync reset functionality has to be emulated via a mux. The reset input on the flops is an async reset, which can be used safeuly if that signal is synchronised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back