Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The basic differences in the architecture of IBM and INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoren_tm

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
kindly discuss the basic difference on the architecture of IBM and INTEL..?
tnx

IBM and INTEL..

IBM and GE are basically finance company now. Intel still a manufacturing company.

IBM and INTEL..

hey he is asking in processor/PC architecture... not financial or buisness thing..

leoren_tm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
IBM and INTEL..

an attitude a company toward technology will determine how good they will be and what they will be end with. I would vote for Intel instead of IBM.

True IBM is the vendor of PC, but not today, they don't even have a footprint in the PC industry now.
So was GE, used to be a giant of invention.

Though IBM still gets some chip manufacturing capability in Fishkill New York, I don't know how long it would be for those MBAs decide to sell this business to oversea companies. :(

Strongly support Intel and AMD.

IBM and INTEL..

I even don't know which one is better,
the IBM power or the intel xeon

IBM and INTEL..

IBM powerpc family is close to the end of its life. Even Apple abandoned IBM on desktop and notebook products recently.

Re: IBM and INTEL..

thank you for the reply...yah i was asking about there achitecture...
kindly share you knowledge.....

Added after 58 seconds:

nikhilele said:
hey he is asking in processor/PC architecture... not financial or buisness thing..
thanks nikhilele

IBM and INTEL..

Hi Members,
Here you can find interresting document on Intell Architecture.
**broken link removed**

leoren_tm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks again...
can yopu difirenciate the two??

IBM and INTEL..

Hi Leoren,

I can't comment much interms of architectture. As there are too much difference in between 2.

Intel is famouse of its x86 processor architecture.
IBM is well known of their IBM Power PC Core.
ARM is other big player in the embedded Markert for the ARM Family.

Maybe u can study the architecture of Power PC vs x86 Architecture to get your question answer?

Intel processors follow little endian whreas IBM processors follow big endian method in storing the data.

Sigma|Six said:
Hi Leoren,

I can't comment much interms of architectture. As there are too much difference in between 2.

Intel is famouse of its x86 processor architecture.
IBM is well known of their IBM Power PC Core.
ARM is other big player in the embedded Markert for the ARM Family.

Maybe u can study the architecture of Power PC vs x86 Architecture to get your question answer?
\
the 8086 family??can you give me a detail explanation on it?
does IBM manufacture processor???think not right>?? maybe therefore they are using INTEL processor..??? is that correct??

Added after 1 minutes:

rameshbabu said:
Intel processors follow little endian whreas IBM processors follow big endian method in storing the data.
what do you mean about "endian"? thx

leoren said:
does IBM manufacture processor???think not right>?? maybe therefore they are using INTEL processor..??? is that correct??
Oh yes, they make processors. Mainframes in the System 370 series and other computers in the i-Series. You won't see them mentioned unless you are familiar with MIS and IT literature.

IBM and INTEL..

as a matter of fact, IBM fishkill plant manufactuer the chip for Sony PS3.

tkbits said:
leoren said:
Oh yes, they make processors. Mainframes in the System 370 series and other computers in the i-Series. You won't see them mentioned unless you are familiar with MIS and IT literature.
and why when i read assembly book, about IBM, they uses intel architecture?(Intel processor)

Added after 1 minutes:

funnynypd said:
as a matter of fact, IBM fishkill plant manufactuer the chip for Sony PS3.
they manufacture for PS3? and other portable devices? how about computers?? personal computers?

IBM and INTEL..

IBM fishkill is a factory manufacturing high-end chip, like the PS3 8-core CPU. IBM sold their PC business.

thanks for that....
can you give me some information on the architecture of IBM? how is it diffrent from intel??

leoren_tm said:
and why when i read assembly book, about IBM, they uses intel architecture?(Intel processor)
Because you are reading about the IBM PC. The PC series has always had an Intel processor, starting with the Intel 8088 in the original PC.

If you are being asked about processors that IBM designed, then you need to look at processors that are not part of PCs. IBM sold their PC manufacturing, which means they are not manufacturing for retail customers. They still manufacture at least two series of processors that are either leased or sold directly to businesses.

what are does two processor?

IBM was/still is good in pro design but unfortunate as Intel captured all the pc market. IBM is more changing its business tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back