Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your point of view please: the future of 8-bit MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_test

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there anybody design 8-bit MCU now ?
Does it have good future or not?

I know that last year TI was working on 8bit MCU's upgrade, particularly on low voltages low current and fast standby recovery time cores

i think that 8bit MCUs will be No1 for many many years. I don't think that more than 8bits are needed at MCU level.

8051 of intel is an example. Even now, many companies are producing chips with 8051 architecture (Atmel, Dallas, etc)

AVR series of ATMEL is another example.

And of cource PIC series is another example

The only exception is the DSP MCUs but these are for specific jobs :?

Be sure my friend that you do not need more than 8bits to do your job fast and easy :)

C'ya

The instigate question is response with the following phrase in my opinion:
"The 8 bit-MCU is sufficient for most requeriments?" ....I believe YES!!! And see the more and more features in modificated 8bit MCU architecture for long year ago...
gorkin

8 Bits CPU's are here TO STAY .. They dont need expensive and cumbbersome memory buses . There are requirements where the processing power is more than enough . And even for some cases where you need just an extra PUNCH ..there are now 8 bits CPUS running at 100 Mhs . That added to the fact fact that power requirements are sow low .
make them little all terrain general purpose logic controllers .
Some times i wonder if is really necessary in the PC world to go 64 Bits ..
I have a SUN WORKSATION and when i boot in 32 bits i don't notice any major and dramatic speed change!

I think that 8-bit MCU is enough in many applications. Simple, easy in use and learn, 8-bit MCU is still alive

8-bitters are going to be around for as long as they cost less to produce than the 16 and 32 bitters. And I think that means for a very long time. They are just going to get cheaper and cheaper. Now the low end chips are something like US$0.40 or so. That is still too high for a piece of silicon whose design is 20 years old. I believe in about 5 year time, the low end 8-bit mcu chips will be sold at lss than 10 cents a peice. When the PIC16C54 will be the same price as a 74LS245 as most of teh cost will be packaging and handling and silicon will be the cheaper component.

Yeah, 8-bit mcu's have future. Now the 8-bit's mcu's family have chips with large flash memory, good peripheral and speed up to 40MHz. I think these chips is best for control application.

15 years ago, the end of 8 bit processors was predicted by lots of people. It seems they were very wrong. I believe 8bitters will be with us for a very long time.

8-bit mcu is definately here to stay. In the future all we will see is either a DSPs or ASIC and a central 8-BIT MCU to coordinate their operation.

hai,

for simple application and samll application 8 bvit mc is enough.

8-bit mcu is definetely enough for small electronic products and portable
gadgets, so low power consumption and display driving capability will be
the must features for future.

dino

Last year, The saleroom for 8 bit MCU is 52% of MCU market all over the world.

I think 8 bit MCU has good future. It' way is to have higher speed, field program and some anolog module.

Some companies are still designing 4bit MCU's in their projects, because they are cheaper, have less power consumption, are more cost efficient.

For simple (and moderate complex) controlling application without high accuracy, wide architectures won't have a performance advantage. their 16/32/64 bit architecture is most of the time not used. So they are expensive, will consumpt a lot of power without doing anything.

For general purpose applications or rapid prototyping bigger and faster might be better to have a fast result about - it's possible or not.

But for cost efficient solutions even more complex problems can be adopted to run on a 8bit machine.

so I think 8bitters will be alive for a long time

I strongly believe the best 8-bit MCUs in the furture will be the one with the highest level of integration with analog funtionality. This is a foundation well laid by Cypres's 8-bit mixed signal PSOC. Imagine a tiny 8-bit MCU controlling all the functions of a vending machine and when the whole world is asleep it will reconfigure itself and function as a "dialup modem" for the purpose of updating its inventry for next days "vending work". HOW C 8) 8)L IS THAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.