Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your ideas & suggestion need this topic.... Plz share...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senthilkumar_rjpm

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This post may not technical but it’s essential to me now.. I am very sorry to Moderators & those who feel that this post is useless... But please provide your suggestions... Its very help full to me...

I am working as Embedded Systems Design Engg in a Small organisation. But Its a huge production company, selling around various verities of product in medical field.(above10 product) Its a single man owner ship company.. My biggest disadvantage is i am the only person in technical out of 7-8 peoples (incl my boss). He is a nice person & He has more knowledge about equipments (he is in this field more than 25 yrs). But not much knowledge about circuitry & Software.

I am working here around 4 years. Here, I am converting (re-designing) all products to Microcontroller based & introducing some new type of product. I have 9+ years experience in this field.

If i start new project, generally my working method is, My boss give some instructions about the equipment (Application oriented & Some technical information which is output end). After that I’ve collect details about that product from some source (ie-Net, imported equipment). From those Sources i study & understand the theory of the unit. After these i’ ve Decide about front (display) end & output end, Now explain these & discus with him. Make any corrections if any. (Usually he didn’t say more correction in my design, Bcaz i ask more with myself before I go to explain him). After i design circuit for this & assemble that circuit using general purpose pcb & available pcb which is design by us for previous proj, make it test & demo to him. After we discus about Metal box size, No of pcbs, singleside, double side.. etc.. & we ll give circuit to pcb designer. Our pcb designer is using manual routing only... So i check & verify his all line diagrams, Then Sample pcb ll come .. Assemble & check it & fix the box for demo unit...

Now i come to my query....

In yesterday meeting My boss told (argue) me to Write Work book in Daily based....

Is it possible to write Daily based workbook in this field or work?

Hope most of you in same embedded design field. & most of u may face the same one...
Actually i want to know what other company’s rules in the same condition...

If you following the same Please share with me how you write daily based workbook?

Pls give me some idea for this... & Please share your own experience here it may very useful to me...
Thanks in advance....

Of course you can keep a day book /work book/ log book or whatever you would like to call it. It is very Common. It may be a requirement of the 'good practice' required in the development of medical products.

It is just a chronological collection of your work which would otherwise be on scraps of paper. Sometimes I would stable bits of paper into the log book - a circuit diagram for example.

Something else you should have is a proper, written specification. You might have to write it, although it should come from your boss really.

Keith

Hi Senthil,

This is the most common some kind of frustration feel about that question among us let it be any area of work. As Keith said it is possible and a good practice as well not only for the company but for ourselves also.

The benifits are :

1. You have proof of what you have doen on day to day basis.
2. you have all the records of changes that has been made.
3. you can easily implement the previous verison of software if required.
4. Most important you can conclude how long it takes to complete a single product in terms of man hours.

There may many thoughts run accros our mind with the above question of boss. But I suggest you maintain the records and after say about 4 years you find the importnance of the records. I have habbit of writing diary daily as what I have done today. This one is more like the same. The importance is noticed only after you start your own company.

Thankyou

Its a very old and traditional way of keeping records of everything we are supposed to do, what we did and what we would be doing in future..
This helps us keep track of the progress or difficulty that we face in project execution. We in MNC's do it tooo and its a very good way of tracking where you are heading..
All of a sudden if your boss asks you something which you did 4 or 6 weeks back.. how many people in this world can give precise answer...

at that point of time you cannot guess and tell this might have been done...
nor you can tell your boss that you forgot.. thats the worst answer you could ever give to get fired.....
or if yo write a code for a project and after 2 years someone asks you how you wrote and nothing is in your head........... if you modified some code and later after 2 months you need the old code without modification??????? these are all embrassing situation of proper documentation and history records are not maintained...

keep a track of daily activity.. its not that your boss doubts your capability but it sure he wants to put you into a good habit..

the result will not be seen overnight but in the long run.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back