Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

xilinx parallel cable speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilinx impact set cable

hi

how to set the cable speed with the xilinx parallel cables in IMPACT ?
i installed a new ISE and it uses faster download speed, than the older version, so now my parallel port fails always during download. I changed from ISE 7.1 to 8.2.
it freezes, but i thin k its because the parallel port.

xilinx parallel cable 4 impact problem

IMPACT should have at least two parallel cable choices. Most likely you want to use parallel cable "III" not "IV". With the cable attached, can you ID the chip? If so, then the port interface is correct.
IMPACT has a nasty feature of locking up the port if you attempt to connect to the chip without the target board powered up. Once the port is locked up, the only recovery is to exit the IMPACT tool and restart it. At least once a week, I get boards from our mfg department that the techs claim will not program. Most work for me after a clean power cycle.
Try the following:
1. Start IMPACT and verify that your cable choice is Parallel cable "III".
2. Exit IMPACT.
3. Attach the JTAG cable and power up your board.
4. Start IMPACT and ID the chip. If ID passes, continue programming. If ID fails, return to step 2.

----- Steve

ise impact parallel speed

i can ID the chain-chips.
once i made a id code looping of 10000, but after 876, it saaid: ERROR. so i think the parallel port is wrong, or just not fast enough.

Added after 3 minutes:

this shit freezes always during programming. i setted up the frequency, but still. thte progress bar wasnt slower.

download impact xilinx parallel cable iv

Which type of parallel cable do you have? If it uses those awful flying wire connections, then it may be suffering from poor signal integrity on TCK, such as ground-bounce or ringing. It's a common problem. You may be able to fix it by adding a series resistor (maybe 100 to 300 ohms) to the TCK wire, or maybe to all four signal wires. A few years ago, that trick worked for me with a Xilinx Parallel Cable III.

I haven't found a way to change the speed of a Xilinx Parallel Cable III. The "setCableSpeed" batch parameter seems to have no effect. However, if the problem is signal integrity, then changing the cable speed probably won't help much.

problem with xilinx parallel cable iv

i have parallel cable -4.
its 2m long.
when i got the error message, it said that error reading parallel port.

To change the Parallel Cable IV speed in iMPACT, click menu "Output" then "Cable Setup". I'm using ISE 9.1, yours is probably similar.

From the Parallel Cable IV to your FPGA board, are you using the 15cm ribbon cable, or individual flying wires?

Be sure your FPGA's M0-M1-M2 pins are set for JTAG. Configuration sometimes works with the mode pins set differently, but sometimes it's erratic or fails in strange ways.

If all else fails, ask Xilinx:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/clearexpress/websupport.htm

15cm ribbon cable.

the programming worked last week, only once i had the problem. yesterday, it didnt work at all, with the newly installed ISE8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back