Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx / Altera FPGA evaluation kits (Academic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurabha83

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am looking for a suitable FPGA evaluation board for research purposes. As my budget is limited, I was thinking of
- Xilinx Zedboard(320 USD) or Atlys Spartan-6 LX45 board (200 USD)
or
- Altera DE2-115 Cyclone IV board

I have following applications in mind:
- Audio/Video Processing (H.264, Audio Codecs, etc.)
- Image processing ( Object detection etc.)
- DSP ( FFT/FIR/IIR filters etc. )
- Wireless PHY algorithms ( MIMO OFDM, QAM, Viterbi etc.)
- Small multicore processors(based on microblaze or Nios say a dual /quad core )
- Possibility of booting Linux

• Does anyone know whether the FPGA's I have shortlisted is suitable for such applications ?
  • Import duty(appx. %) on these boards when importing them to India ?

Thanks
N.Bh

PS: I have talked to some local vendors and they have quoted me the price for these two boards at around Rs. 32000 . My budget is lower than this. I am also willing to buy an older FPGA board ( Virtex, Kinet, Stratix etc. ) if someone wants to sell assuming it should be able to support some of the applications I have listed

Last edited:

Hi

I have experienced in Altera DE115 board. My area of expertise was on Video and Image processing. The demos which came with System CD made my project awesome.. better you can go for DE115 itself...but the rate you are saying is too much 8-O..i bought it around 23K a year back from this website femtologicdesign.com .

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.