Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wrapper file, EDIF file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabla101

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, what exactly is a wrapper file? I keep reading that to do certain things I will need to create a wrapper file "around my code".

I have a rough idea, but not exact...

So a vhdl file *.vhd is just a file containing the vhdl code, just as a *.c file is a file containing c code.

An edif file is a netlist listing the instances of vhdl modules in a design, the attributes of each instance, and a list of nets, showing how the ports of each instance are connected.

A wrapper is a "black box" listing only the inputs and outputs of a device or groups of devices, with no description of the device operation or connectedness?

So I could create a load of vhdl modules and have a load of *.vhd files. Then I could synthesise them and generate an EDIF file for how they are connected together. Then I could create a wrapper file containing all the modules?

Could someone explain if this is right or not, and how the different files are used and related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back