Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Workstation spec for top-chip simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanderpollator

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am thinking for the workstation upgrade in the near future and we may purchase top-chip mixed-signal simulator, e.g., UltraSim. I am not sure our current server for 3 designers (eight 2GHz CPU cores, 32GB ram and 1.4TB SCSI disk) is good enough or not. Can anyone who has the experience of top-level simulation give me some advice? I understand you can control the accuracy level to affect the CPU time significantly but I just want to have rough idea that "Money aside, how powerful the workstation that I may need?" Thanks.

I simulate chips on a desktop PC with a couple of GB of RAM and only 2 cores, a few years ago I had a lot less power. It can still take a day or so to simulate a chip, but that's using spectre instead of Ultrasim (which should be faster for a whole chip). As far as I'm concerned (and there may be other viewpoints), it's simply a trade off between speed and cost(processing power)

Status
Not open for further replies.