Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working on peltier...current consumed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemantsingh

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
​I hace recently purchased TEC1 12706. Provided power input to it from a 300 W SMPS. Volatge 12 V. Room temperature was ~35 degree . Heat sink and fan(that of CPU hitsink and fan) applied on hotter side . When I tried to measure the DC current ... using clamplmeter it showed reading to be nearly 1.6 A for peltier . I think it should consume 6 A why it is consuming less current.

Expected current at 12V DC is around 4 A according to TEC1 12706 datasheet. If it's considerably lower, the peltier element may be damaged, e.g. due to previous overheating. Or you got a fake device. I presume you have a DC clamp meter. If the SMPS is a multi voltage PC supply, 12V may drop with unloaded 5V. In any case check the voltage, too.

What is the resistance of the peltier?

What type of clampmeter are you using?

I domt know resistance ... it is TEC1 12706 92 W unit with nominal powersupply limits as:12 V 6A.

Clammeter is like digital multimeter whcih has got a clamp whiche braces around red wire of peltier. It has two functionalitites whether measure AC current or DC I used.

- - - Updated - - -

Expected current at 12V DC is around 4 A according to TEC1 12706 datasheet. If it's considerably lower, the peltier element may be damaged, e.g. due to previous overheating. Or you got a fake device. I presume you have a DC clamp meter. If the SMPS is a multi voltage PC supply, 12V may drop with unloaded 5V. In any case check the voltage, too.

Iwill come back after checking the points you have given. Only want to know how to load 5 V supply

Status
Not open for further replies.