Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Woodworker needs some help wiring shop tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukaspanic

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am only a little experienced in electronics but my main focus is on woodworking.
I would like to wire some tools and need some expert advise.

I have a router (rotating cutting tool)mounted to a table that I would like to plug into an outlet with a switch next to it. When I flip the switch the outlet gets power and therefore the router turns on. It keeps me from having to crawl under the table that the router is mounted to to reach the switch on the router. That alone I could wire myself but it gets a little more complicated: I would like to have a second outlet where I plug in my shop vacuum so when I flip the switch, both turn on.
Step three would be to have 3 outlets and 2 switches. The outlets would have the router, the vacuum and the table saw in it. The switches turn on the table saw and the vacuum, the second one would turn on the router and the vacuum.

I could even take this another step further, once I turn off the router or the table saw, the vacuum should keep running for another 5-10 seconds to clear the tool of dust and shavings.

Or..as I'm writing this I am coming up with more ideas...have a speed control for the router. Currently it is either on or off but I cant control the rpm.

As you can tell I have a lot of ideas, except I have no idea how to design this. Can anyone point me in the direction of a circuit plan or give me some hints on how to find resources for these kind of projects?

Thanks a lot in advance

You are on dangerous grounds. I mean things that could kill you. I suggest that you purchase commercially made cables with switched outlets and do the sequencing manually.

I sort of agree with flatulent, if you don't have much experience with 120/220vAC control wiring/circuits, you 're better off buying than building. I designed and built a system several years age with both a delayed start and delayed stop. I posted it on a forum and shortly after, this appeared: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,240,41065&p=63013 I never saw a commercial one with a delayed stop until after I posted mine. :cry:

Anyway, if you plugged both the router and table saw to a two-gang outlet that had a cord that plugged into the afore mentioned commercial box, you would get what you want. A caveat is that you not turn the router and table saw on at the same time. That would pop breakers.

Ken

Thanks for the replies.

Coming from Germany I have worked with 220V wiring and being a homeowner in the US I have also worked with 110V. I am aware of the dangers and I will take any necessary precautions. I am just not very experienced with designing electronic circuits like the delayed vacuum etc.

I appreciate the warnings.

I also appreciate the link, I have seen similar devices at rockler.com woodworking

Besides the fact that electricity can kill you ( btw table saws can too) I figured those switches are not that complicated and could be build much cheaper than they can be bought. Thats why I asked. My budged is limited.

@KMoffett: does the post you were talking about still exist or are there instructions for similar systems out there?

This is the complete ON-OFF sensing circuit for the table saw (post#6): **broken link removed**, but the timer doesn't show it's 12v power supply. These are actually in two different enclosures on opposite sides of the shop.

Unless you have access to someones electronics junk box, it might actually be more expensive than the commercial one. But sometimes it's as much about the process as the product. ;)

Ken

If both power tools are single phase, here's a possible solution.

Acquire a couple of three phase motor starters, maybe from scrap/junk. These have a relay with three contacts, start and stop buttons and provision to wire external start/stops.

In starter 1, wire live through first contact to power the router. For added safety, wire neutral to router through second contact. This give 2-pole isolation.
Wire live through third contact to power the vacuum.

In starter 2, wire live through first contact to power the saw. For added safety, wire neutral to saw through secong contact. Again, this gives 2-pole isolation.
Wire live through third contact and then connect a loop wire between the output of this contact and the output of the third contact in starter 1 (the point where the live to the vacuum is connected). This will mean that the vacuum will run when either starter is energised. The neutral for the vacuum will have to be direct from starter 1 (there are no contacts left to provide it with 2-pole isolation but that is nice to have, not essential).

Delay off for the vacuum is a little more involved. Instead of the third contacts from each starter powering the vacuum directly, you would need to connect them to a slow-to-release relay. Unless this relay had contacts rated to carry the current of the vacuum, you would need to connect this relay to a contactor(or another motor starter used as a contactor/relay).

The benefit of using motor starters is the ability to connect external start/stops. You can put a start button near your working position and more importantly, have a foot switch or knee switch that cuts power to everything.

Pay particular attention to ensuring all metal parts are properly earthed and that the supply is protected by a circuit breaker and preferably an RCD.

Finally, unless you are confident with all this, I would strongly recommend getting someone with electrical experience at least to check what you do /intend to do.

3phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back