Wish to repair Tenma 72-8155 capactiance meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi,
Today I tried to measure the capacitance of a 100n ceramic cap on an unpowered PCB that had not been powered for several days. In service this capacitor has 339V pk on it.

I used a Tenma 72-8155 capacitance meter....
https://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-8155/multimeter-lcr-83x172x38mm/dp/1283643

There was a “click” type sound as I probed the capacitor with the 72-8155 meter….which I guess was some excess charge on the capacitor discharging through the meter.
After this, the meter would not work.
I am surprised that the capacitance range doesn’t have overvoltage protection on it.
I wonder if anyone has a schematic of this meter?.... because maybe its just a crowbar circuit that has gone and blown a fuse.

Seriously, capacitors often have excess voltage left on them and its so easy to forget…so I’m amazed the meter was not protected against this.

Now neither the R, L or C aspect of the meter works..its totally dead.
How may i repair?

I would think it highly unlikely that significant charge would still exist after several days, especially in-circuit, more likely it 'just' broke and was a coincidence.
Tenma should provide a repair service and may help with schematics if you want to repair it yourself. I can't confirm as I have no Tenma equipment here but experience with other manufacturers teaches me they are generally very helpful.

Brian.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
On the website posted there is a 2 star rating by a single user...broke after 6 months...
In the user guide pdf:

The three highlighted in red are why I like auto-ranging meters.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.