Status
Not open for further replies.

mdamor01

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a step up transformer. I have calculated all the calculation as like core area, turn per volt, P volt, S volt. All is okay. But now I need the right wire size according to my load current.

Transformer Details:

Primar volt: 130v
Secondary volt: 200v
Imax: 8A (so 8x200= 1.6KVA)
Core area: 3x2=6inch
Core type: EI
trurn/volt: 1.16v
P turn: 150t
S turn: 232t

So now, what size or SWG of copper wire should I use for 8A?

Any reason you designed an isolation transformer rather than an auto transformer? You can safe 65% of transformer power.

I presume, you have chosen the core size from a transformer design table. It should also have a specification for winding current density respectively available winding window, choose wire gauge respectively.

Any reason you designed an isolation transformer rather than an auto transformer? You can safe 65% of transformer power.

Thanks, but I do not need auto transformer.
On the other hand, I have collected all these equations from some online blog helped by google. But there was no information or data about current rating or wire size, and I have created a transformer practically using 18swg, and voltage was perfect as i needed.

Now, I am confused that 18swg is enough for 8A or not ? If not then what should be ?

Hi,

An autotransformer is smaller, smaller core less copper, but has no isolation....it's just to reduce site and cost.

Maybe you can go through this: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/transformer-basics.html

One approach is:
If you want a secondary winding loss if 1% full power....(as an example)
This is 1% of 1600VA --> 16W.
At 8A this means: R_copper = P/(I x I)= 250mOhms

Now with the number_of_turns, the average_length_per_turn and the specific_resistance_of_copper --> you are able to calculate the diameter.
(Ignoring proximity effect, skin effect and temperature rise)

Klaus

Now, I am confused that 18swg is enough for 8A or not ?
It's not. Current density for 1.6 kVA transformer (e.g. EI 195c) should be below 1.5 A/mm².

Status
Not open for further replies.