Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windmill vs Grid Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

roosnam

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi...

Now a days installed capacity of windmills is keep on increasing.

So, will this surge in installed capacity by wind mills which is inconsistent in nature won't affect grid stability?

If so, is there any regulation such a way that grid stability won't be affected?

Wind power has not turned out to be as useful a way of generating electricity as was hoped.

Only a few locales have a constant wind. Most places just have an intermittent breeze, making wind power a sometimes thing.

I see a few locations in our area with a huge wind turbine. Several stories high. Had to be expensive. Maybe the idea was to sell juice to the electric company.

However I seem to recall the propellers being stationary most times I see them.

Are they hooked up to the grid? If so then a lot of expensive equipment was installed to NOT sell juice to the electric company. I have a hunch they end up being too much expense to maintain.

Hence it doesn't seem likely that wind turbines will become so numerous as to affect grid voltage much.

And even if there are a lot, and if they're all hooked up to sell juice to the electric company... and if a windy day comes along to set them all spinning... it will usually develop over the space of a few hours... so the electric company will have time to ramp down their other methods of generation, so that grid voltage doesn't soar.

I suppose you're aware power plants are in the habit of firing up extra generators during times of daily peak demand. Then shutting them down as demand tapers off.

The above is not meant to ignore the fact that, in case of blackout, a wind turbine may be just the thing to provide sufficient power to get through a crisis.

I wouldn't worry yet, the ratio of wind to other forms of generated power is small at the moment, and like BradtheRad, I live in an area with numerous wind farma (Pennines UK) and it is a shock when we see them turning. More an eco-based propaganda IMO and not realy a solution to the worlds needs, that siad I do find them quite nice, and when turing relaxing to watch...

generally we are more ambitious

so our grid designs (conceptual) are far more higher rated than the power we generate by wind mills and so there is always stable system here as input at no point exceeds 100% capacity of the grid

if by chance it exceeds some or portion of the wind farm is disconnected from a grid and diverted to other grids and thus they are maintained stably

Generators also have an enormous amount of inertia to handle the dynamic load of the grid (because usually weigh several hundreds tons of rotating mass).
Greenies dream of shutting off the generators, and it would seem they have convinced the general stupid public that that is possible.
The fact is that with windpower and other alt energy, the load needs to be balanced to the availability of the source rather than the
other way round. And with wind, that source is particularly finicky and probably unusable without the backing of a real power generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.