Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wind turbine charge controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizer sosay

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey i have built a small home made wind turbine i reckon it will produce maybe around 50-80 amps i have a battery bank
Of 6 x 6 volt 305ah battery's all wired in series and parallel to make a masive 12v bank i would like to build a charge controller to protect them from over charging
any help with a schematic
Many Thanks
Kizer

did you mention what voltage the turbine is producing?

50 to 80 amps is a lot of current - such a charge controller would be a non-trivial project - have you looked at commercial designs?

The turbine will not produce more than 15 volts when hooked up to my battery bank as the battery's will hold the voltage around 14-15 volts. But open with no load 120V, I haven't looked into commercial design yet.

what is your generator? how are you exciting it, fields or stator? if it is an automotive alternator, the built in regulator should do the trick sensing your needs. or you could use an old chevy (pre 1960) black box regulator and then you can adjust them internally for voltage output. first thing that you need to establish is the static voltage of your battery bank. as in no input from the generator. if it is 13.5vdc, do not let the generator push more than 14.5vdc. how many 12volt cells do you have? that is 6vdc batteries in series to make the 12 cell that I assume you have in parrallel? this is needed to judge the max input amperage for the circuit. I too am looking at a 12vdc system for my home then switch to LED lighting throughout, and possably switching all of the appliences that I can to 12vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back