Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will a EMI suppression Capcs (X,Y) caps help to protect from EFT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myatham

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
It is mentioned in the datasheet that X & Y capacitors are used to suppress surges. Do they completely supress or do they reduces to certian level only?
As EFT burst frequency is different, I am assuming that they can not protect from EFT? Please correct me if i am wrong. If we have an isolation transformer, will it protect the system from these noises (both differential and common mode noises) surge, EFT and ESD?

Hello,
It is mentioned in the datasheet that X & Y capacitors are used to suppress surges. Do they completely supress or do they reduces to certian level only?
As EFT burst frequency is different, I am assuming that they can not protect from EFT? Please correct me if i am wrong. If we have an isolation transformer, will it protect the system from these noises (both differential and common mode noises) surge, EFT and ESD?

Please help me on this?

The purpose of the X and Y capcitors is to provide a low impedance to earth. Their effectivness depends on the series impedance of the circuit. The laptop/desktop monitor you are now using will have a lump of ferrite on its power lead to do just that, make the filter capacitors work a lot better.
What is EFT?
Frank

i don't think x y caps can help with surge cause it only provide a low impedance way for noise to go back into module. for surge noise current is too large

Status
Not open for further replies.