Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wilkinson power divider in ie3d

Status
Not open for further replies.

cant-bury

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i m tryin to simulate a wilkinson power divider in IE3D software...but have no idea how impedance matching is implemented in strip lines.....can somebody help plz

Stripline impedance is a function of line width, separation, and dielectric constant of the separator.

Simon and Waddel are useful references and there are numerous applets on the the web to get you started. Polar Si9000 is also a good tool but there is a cost associated with using it.

You might also like Microwaves101.com - A practical resource covering the fundamental principles of microwave design (w*w.microwaves101.com) as a source for information. If you have access to a old divider you might consider opening it to see how it was fabricated and the study the internal layout.

Since you have a EM tool you might consider modeling a family of striplines to see how they behave to start. Use the materials and dimensions you intend for your design. Then look into the wilkinson.

Azulykit's advise is excellent!

cant-bury,
There are a lot of books explaining impedance calculations in microstrips. If you want detailed info. have look check for Microwave Engineering, by David Pozar.

Just draw a structure of a wilkinson and play around by changing different parameters. You'll get hands on experience on how it is working.

AWR makes a free app called "TxLine" which is an impedance calculator for a variety of transmission line types...i use it frequently and it gives very good results. My only caution is it is analytically based so a 3D solver is sometimes useful for sanity checking (I have found strange results, for example, with the coupled line model in TxLine).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back