Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wilkinson Combiner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen001

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
OK this is probably a simple question, but I need to check myself on this. When using a wilkinson as a combiner, with equal amplitude and phase signals input, what is the output.

For example, a 2 way combiner with port 1 being the output port:

10dBm on port 2
10dBm on port 3

Power present on port 1??

Thanks

13 dBm, actually there will be a little loss so maybe 12.5 dBm. Assuming equal power and phase inputs.

Thanks, that is exacly what I figured, just needed to check myself...

Now in the case where one port is excited:

Port 2: 10dBm
Port 3: 0dBm

Port 1: ~7dBm??? and power dissipated in Resistor is ???

Added after 4 hours 40 minutes:

Actually what I really want to know is what is the formula for calculating the actual combining loss given different input power and phase. I know that for signals 180 degrees out of phase, the loss is = 10*log(1/n) when n is the number os splits. Is there a way to calculate the loss of the angles bewteen 0 and 180?

pwoer is conserved so ~7 dB at the output and ~7 dB in the isolation resistor. I would have to dig a bit for the expression. You can have that fun. You might find the answer on the Krytar website. They make the things.

Status
Not open for further replies.