Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wihich software is better for simulating slot spiral antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

fly_fish

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
slot spiral antenna

I want to desgin an archimidean slot spiral antenna. I use CST to simulate it ,but spend too much time to get a result.
Any one konws which software is better to simulate this kind of antenna? Accuray,fast,and easy to use.

Re: Wihich software is better for simulating slot spiral ant

You can try HFSS from Ansoft. According to my experiences, this simulator is faster than Microwave Studio, which enables you obtain enough accurate result within acceptable time and with intermediate hardware resources.

I assume you have a planar spiral (even if cavity backed) not some fancy cylindrical, conical etc.

Your problem (including a vertical coax to planar transition) can be analyzed faster and more accurately by planar solvers (2.5D). See also

A few planar solvers:

Sonnet, IE3D, EM3DS (this last one gives S11 and currents but no radiation pattern)

Even 3D MOM solvers might be faster and more accurate that HFSS and CST for your problem.
See the last comment in:

A few 3D MOM solvers:

Gmacs, EMC Studio, Feko, Singula, Wipl-D, PAM-CEM, WASP-NET

They are all relatively easy to use, allow for layout import from various CAD software etc.

If you are simulating spiral inductors use HFSS in order to simulate the Q factor correctly.

However - if you are simulating helix spirals use HFSS : - ) in order to reduce simulation time. HFSS has a feature called surface approximation that allows you to specify how accurate do you want to follow the spiral. I suggest to start with angles of 60deg and about quarter of a radius in the surface deviation.

Itai

Hi fly_fish

Get The IE3D Ver.11 It's fast simple and accurate
You can register and get evaluation.

PL

Hi all, first post in edaboard!

I am simulating exactly the same antenna, and tried HFSS and Feko.

It's a 1 meter radius slot spiral, with a slot 0.76mm wide, following a paper I've found.

I want to simulate up to 3GHz, so the wavelength is quite short for the size of the antenna. In Feko, this results in a big mesh, and it took me one day to simulate at 3GHz. But that's only one frequency, and it's a wideband antenna, so I need to simulate at least 20 frequencies!!

On the other hand, I've tried HFSS, wich worked fine for wider slots but no for 0.76mm. Also, I noticed that if I changed the radiation boundary size from, say, have a wavelength to one wavelength, the results changed a lot, even when I've read that yo need aproximately a quarter of wavelength.... Not to say the amount of time such a big boundary took to solve.

I really need some help here, it's been several weeks now and I need this as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back