Not open for further replies.

freemanantony

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everybody,
i am trying to convert 26 bit wiegand format to RS-485 format, is there an ic avilable in market which converts wiegand format to rs-485 format? can anyone help me on this?

I'm unaware of a specific device to perform the conversion, although such a device may exist, its existence is a bit irrelevant considering the task can be performed by many of the simplest microcontrollers, at a price most likely considerably less expensive than a specialized device.

A simple microcontroller with a few GPIO lines, interrupt system, a few timers and a UART can easily accomplish the task.

BigDog

Are you referring to the low level, signalling of Weigand which uses two signals? One to indicate a "0" when active and one to indicate a "1" when active? Or, to the higher level, 26 bit, serial format? Or both? Your question is a bit confusing since you refer to to "26 bit wiegand" which is "high level" and RS-485 which is "low level". Are you thinking to map the Weigand "0" and "1" signals to the RS-485 "+" and "-" signals? At a low level, there is no such part since RS-485 requires the two, differential signals to always switch in opposite directions at the same time. However, two possibilities.

1. Use two RS-485 signals. One for the Weigand "0" and one for the Weigand "1". With this scheme, the RS-485 devices are simply level translators.
2. Use the three possible states of a single RS-485 driver and a special receiving scheme. The driver is either "off", "0" or "1". Perhaps a suitable receiver scheme could recognize the three states and convert back to the two Weigand signals.

At a high level, see BigDog above. You will need to create your own higher level format on the single, RS-485 signal. Which is it?

Are you looking for something like this module? https://www.audon.co.uk/wiegand/wie485.html

Last edited:

hey bigdogguru thank you for your time . Analog ground i was referring to the low level signalling of weigand . thanks for the idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…