Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why would a 4MHz rated PIC not run at 20MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputnik

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The only PICs I am able to buy are rated at 4MHz. But the construction between the 4MHz and 20MHz PIC verisions aren't different are they? So why would a 4MHz rated PIC not run at 20MHz? Must the HS oscillator option be used instead of the XT option?

Sputnik :idea:

Re: 4MHz PIC

PIC's can certainly be overclocked. Microchip (like many others) may only make one version of a chip (for financial reasons) but sell it marked at different speeds. Other manufacturers may make only one version, but test them to see which will work at the higher speeds.

See this thread for enlightenment:

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

4MHz PIC

A new version of PIC can run over 4 MHz
such as :
16F877A-I ( 4 - 20 Hhz )
16F877-20 ( 4-20 Hhz )

Sputnik said:
So why would a 4MHz rated PIC not run at 20MHz? Must the HS oscillator option be used instead of the XT option?

Sputnik :idea:

i have used 4MHz PICs(16f84 and 16f877) in 10 Mhz and 20MHz without any problem.
as oscillator fuse i have used xt or hs and could't see any difference....
bu it's better to use hs option according to data sheets...

Hello

I have PIC16F84A-4 I/P, I want to use 20MHz crystal, shall I use HS fuse rather than XT, or there is no difference regarding the seection of HS or XT fuses.

Thanks in advance

4MHz or 20MHz are factory selection for same chip.
Can be that a 4MHz classified chip run on highter frequency, but this is not sure for all voltage / temperature range.
You can set HS fuse in every case.
Regards
Zapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back